Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Skillet Nachos


I cook at least 5 days a week.  Sometimes I run out of ideas for new and creative meals so many nights of the week.  Sometimes I am just too tired to be imaginative.  One night I had defrosted some Naked Ground Turkey from Stew Leonard’s and I was just too tired to think of some new to do with ground turkey.  I had already prepared pasta, meatloaf and meatballs that week so I was completely out of ideas.  While sitting on the couch contemplating my ground turkey dilemma, a commercial came on for tacos.  Now while I never use those taco seasoning packets I took the inspiration, Mexican.  I cook many Mexican dishes including enchiladas and Mexican lasagna, however these require a lot of work.  I needed something tasty, quick and low maintenance.  I began to peruse the pantry to see what I have on hand and I had just purchase some organic tortilla chips.  It was decided, we are having nachos for dinner.  I know nachos are usually a snack food not a main course.  I had to add some ingredients to create a main course to satisfy the big appetites in my house.  Believe me I had my skeptics.  As my husband walks in from work, before he says hello, he says “nachos for dinner really?”  After his first bite, all skepticism went right out of the window.

This dish really turned out to be a healthy hearty meal.  You can even serve with some shredded lettuce and chopped tomato.  I did not bother in my house because I would have been the only one to eat it.  I hope you try this quick weeknight meal and enjoy it as much as we did.


In a large skillet, brown your ground turkey.  Toss in your diced onion and cook for 3 minutes.  Add all of your seasonings (onion powder, garlic powder, red chili flakes, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper).  I said salt and pepper to taste because I cook with very little salt, not enough for most people, and a lot of pepper, too much for most people.  Stir that around for a few minutes to allow the seasonings to become fragrant.


Now you can add your salsa, water, corn and cooked brown rice.  Stir well.  Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.  Add your cheese, cover again and let the cheese melt.  I only used about ½ cup of the cheese.  Feel free to use as much or as little to fit your dietary needs.  Side note - in the ingredient list I said one jar of all natural salsa.  I did not specify because there may be a particular salsa you like.  Any salsa will work.  Here I used Newman’s Black Bean and Corn Salsa.  Yes, it has actual black beans, which added fiber and protein.  If you cannot find this particular salsa, you can always add ½ can of black beans to your dish.  Also for the brown rice, I used the 10-minute boil-in-bag rice.  I boiled it, set aside then added it to the dish.


Arrange nachos on a plate and top with mixture and sour cream.  Oh wow, think I need to make this dish again!  Enjoy…


Ingredients

1 pound ground turkey
1 medium onion diced
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
½ teaspoon red chili flakes
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste
½ cup water
1 16oz jar all natural salsa
1 ½ cup frozen corn
2 cups brown rice (precooked)
1 cup shredded Mexican or taco cheese blend
Sour Cream
Tortilla Chips


In a large skillet, brown your ground turkey.  Toss in your diced onion and cook for 3 minutes.  Add all of your seasonings (onion powder, garlic powder, red chili flakes, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper).  Stir that around for a few minutes to allow the seasonings to become fragrant.

Add salsa, water, corn and brown rice.  Stir well.  Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes. 

Add cheese, cover again and let the cheese melt.

Arrange nachos on a plate and top with mixture and sour cream.

Can also be served with shredded lettuce and chopped tomato.



No comments:

Post a Comment