Thursday, November 15, 2012

Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


No, I am not a vegan nor am I contemplating becoming one.  I work with some people who follow a vegan diet in my holistic health practice and have been contemplating creating recipes for my vegan clients.  Of course, with my life being so hectic these recipes were pushed to the back burner.  That is until one night when my husband had to have red velvet cupcakes.  I know, I have holistic health practice and my husband has a sweet tooth the size of his head.  I can’t take his sweets away from him, that would be like asking for a divorce.  So I am teaching him everything in moderation. 

As I began to fulfill his request, I realized I had no eggs.  Okay what do I do now?  There are a few options.  I could continue the recipe without the eggs but I did not think I would be happy with the texture.  Bananas or applesauce are also an option but not with red velvet.  Something with a neutral taste and will add moisture, flaxseed!  Of course, I could not let him know until after he ate it.  Anyway, I used the flaxseed as replacement for my missing eggs and the cupcakes were light, moist and downright delicious.  I will be posting that recipe soon.  My successful vegan cupcakes inspired me to try making a vegan cookie, again another success!

This was unchartered territory for me, but I must say I enjoyed experimenting and achieving something nutritious and delicious.  I also received the approval of my husband the connoisseur of sweets, my 14-year-old son who is critical of everything and my daughter who attends a culinary high school.




You will need brown sugar (organic and pure cane brown sugars are available but this is what I had on hand), natural shortening (I prefer Earth Balance, however Smart Balance is what was in the fridge), vanilla, molasses, ground flax seed, water, quick-cooking oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, vegan chocolate chips or 70% dark chocolate chips or sweetened cacao nibs, and nuts (which are optional I used walnuts here, guess why – they were in the freezer).  Yes, some of the items are missing from the picture, I am sure you know what they look like ;).



Preheat oven to 350˚. In a small bowl combine the flaxseed and water.  Mix and set aside to achieve a jell consistency.  Many people like to boil the flaxseed and water, it is not necessary the warm water works just fine.



In your mixing bowl combine brown sugar and shortening until well blended.



Add vanilla, molasses, flaxseed, and mix until light and fluffy.  Gently stir in oats, flour, baking soda and salt.




Add your chocolate chips and nuts.



Place heaping tablespoons of cookie dough on an ungreased cookie sheet.



Bake 10-12 minutes.  Cool slightly and transfer to a wire rack to complete cooling.   Still working on my final product presentation, but that does not take away from the taste.  Enjoy!


Ingredients

1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
1 cup natural shortening (e.g. Earth Balance, Smart Balance)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
3 tablespoons warm water
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 ½ cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup vegan chocolate chips, 70% dark chocolate chips or sweetened cacao nibs
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350˚.

In a small bowl combine the flaxseed and water.  Mix and set aside to achieve a jell consistency.

In your mixing bowl combine brown sugar and shortening until well blended.  Add vanilla, molasses, flaxseed, and mix until light and fluffy.  Gently stir in oats, flour, baking soda and salt.  Add your chocolate chips and nuts.

Place heaping tablespoons of cookie dough on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 10-12 minutes.  Cool slightly and transfer to a wire rack to complete cooling.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment